Train is a comfortable and affordable way traveling between China and Kazakhstan. There are 2 pairs of weekly international trains linking Urumqi and Almaty/Astana: train K9795 departs on every Monday travels from Urumqi to Almaty to Astana; train K9795 departs on every Saturday travels from Urumqi to Almaty.
Basic Information of Urumqi to Almaty Train
- Train number: K9795 Urumqi – Almaty
- Distance: 1,050 km (651 miles)
- Departure: Urumqi Railway Station at 23:33 every Monday and Saturday
- Arrival: Almaty Railway Station at 23:00 every Tuesday and Sunday
- Duration: about 24 hours
Basic Information of Urumqi to Astana Train
- Train number: K9797 Urumqi – Almaty – Astana
- Distance: 1,898 km (1,178 miles)
- Departure: Urumqi Railway Station at 23:33 every Monday
- Arrival: Astana Railway Station at 11:00 every Wednesday
- Duration: about 38 hours
Urumqi – Almaty/Astana Train Schedules
(Updated on June 7th, 2019)
|K9797 Urumqi – Almaty – Astana (departs on Monday weekly)|
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Monday||23:33|
*The times listed above are local time.
|K9795 Urumqi – Almaty (departs on Saturday weekly)|
|1||Urumqi Railway Station (乌鲁木齐站)||China||Saturday||23:33|
*The times listed in the timetable are local time.
How to Book the Ticket
Reservation of international tickets open 30 days before departure. You can buy the ticket at designated ticket office in Ya Ou Hotel, or with travel agencies like China Highlights. Only cash (RMB) is accepted at ticket office and no English is spoken. So you are recommended to buy an international train ticket online with China Highlights. We provide detailed and helpful English guidance and a 24/7 service. A ticket delivery service is also available.
Required documents: photocopies of all the passengers' passports and visas are required when make the booking.
- Children under 4 years old and accompanied by an adult with a valid ticket are ticket free if they don't occupy individual berths. A child ticket needed to be bought if you want to get a berth for the child.
- Children between 4 and 12 years old can buy child tickets.
- Children above 12 years old need to buy adult tickets with full fare.
Search the train and make a booking now.
Free Baggage Allowance
- Adult: 36 kg
- Child: 15 kg
Each baggage shouldn't exceed 200 cm (79 inches) by length+width+height.
Things That Tou Cannot Take With You on The Train
- Weaponry: all kinds of guns
- Dangerous items: knives including daggers, kitchen knives, table knives, flick knives, Swiss Army Knives and axe, etc.
- Toxics: cyanide, arsenic, selenium powder, phenol, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen nitrate, etc.
- Explosive items: alcohol, hydrogen, methane, ethane, butane, natural gas, ethylene, propylene, acetylene, etc.
- Bicycles, including foldable bycicles
What You Need to Know
1. There are five carriages on Urumqi to Almaty/Astana train. Only soft sleeper class (four berths in a private compartment, with a lockable door) is available.
2. International train between Urumqi and Almaty/Astana doesn't have a dining car. Food and drink are not available onboard. Please buy your own food before taking the train.
3. The train will change its locomotive at Khorgas (a border city in Xinjiang, China) when the train stops at 12:30, Beijing Time. It will take 1.5-2 hours. During this time, all passengers will need to get off the train.
4. You will need to go through the customs at Khorgas to leave China.
5. At Altynkol, a border city in Kazakhstan, you will need to go through the customs again to enter Kazakhstan. The train will stop at this city for around 1.5 hours.
Our Customers' Feedback
Customer Susana traveling on June 29, 2019: "Kevin was very reliable and he delivered me the train ticket perfectly. Buying the ticket was hard but in Urumqi everything was very normal and the train departed as usual. At the border all Chinese citizens alighted and only foreigners remained. We arrived to the border on Sunday at 12pm and were asked to wait for three hours until the border opening. Then procedures took more than one hour. We got into the same train again, with Chinese crew. We cleared the border with Kazakhstan in another hour and continued traveling. We arrived at Almaty on Sunday night. In total we spent around six hours at the border and people were always polite.
Thanks again for your help, it was a perfect service from you and Kevin".
Customer Marie traveling on July 6, 2019: "Important point is the fact we stayed at the Chinese boarder around 6 hours (from 11 to 17). We have to go down from the train and wait inside the railway station."
- How to Buy Train Tickets in China
- Taking an Overnight Train in China
- Taking a Bike on a Train
- Beijing – Hong Kong High-Speed Train
This is a place for show life about china, If these articles help you life better in china, Welcome to share this website to your friends, Or you can post questions about china life in FAQ, We will help you to find the right answer.